Friday, March 23, 2007

Who is this coming up from the wilderness?

The Lord spoke to me recently so clearly telling me to love the wilderness more than the public appearing. It was said of John the Baptist that he stayed in the wilderness until the time of his public appearing (Luke 1:80). When he emerged from that place he was at ease before the big crowds -"The whole nation rejoiced in his light" and He emerged with such a astonishing revelation of Jesus. John was the first among men to recognize Jesus' purpose: "behold the Lamb of God...", Jesus' identity: "I have seen and born witness that this is the Son of God" (John 1:34), and Jesus' heart "The one who has the bride is the bridegroom (John 3:29)". All in this place called the wilderness. That place where, according to Hosea, the Lord will betroth us to Himself forever in righteousness, justice, steadfast love and mercy ( Hosea 2:14-20). It says that he would draw us into the wilderness and speak tenderly to us. He would romance our hearts again until we began to sing that Song of all Songs...
Let Him kiss me with the kisses of His mouth!
For your love is better than wine;
your anointing oils are fragrant;
your name is oil poured out;
therefor the virgins love you.
Draw me after you: Let us run!

Draw me! Allure me Jesus to that place! Oh to really know and believe that your love surmounts any other pleasurable thing! Draw me out of this over produced, over stimulated culture to the place of intimacy. Take a bored generation giving themselves to every other thing and draw them after you. Do what you do best; take the hardest hearts and melt them in your presence. I cannot settle for a life without your presence, for your presence has become life to me!
I am convinced that we don't have the revelation, or see the miracles that we know to be true, simply because we have been running around trying to finish in the flesh what was born in the Spirit. By that, I simply mean that the Lord gives me a glimpse or beings to open up a mystery and my first reaction is to go "public" with great revelation instead of staying in the wilderness and letting Him unfold the depths of who He is to me; Just because I am His and He is mine. Or worse yet, the tyranny of the urgent snuffs out the beginnings of a burning heart and quickly quenches it's flame with the list of a thousand things I have to do. Yet we treat this secret place as the most expendable part of our day, willing at any moment to sacrifice it for something that demands our attention. What was it that caused Paul,
who himself spent 3 years in the wilderness before he started teaching (Gal 1:15-17), to stop in the middle of his most theological epistle and exclaim,
"Oh the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable are His judgments and how inscrutable His ways!"

In these days the Lord will raise up a people who will love the wilderness more than the public appearing. There he will marry a whole generation to Himself. We will have an astonishing revelation of the Beautiful One and will be - " A voice crying in the wilderness, Prepare the way of the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God!" They will say and exclaim, "Who is this coming up from the wilderness, leaning on her beloved?" (SOS 8:5) Then every valley will be lifted up and every mountain and hill be made low; the uneven ground shall become level and the rough places a plain. And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together... In that day wisdom will be justified by all her children.

1 comment:

John W Holbrook said...

Phew. Wonderfully written. This is John Holbrook, and I can definately relate with the message you're sending out here. I had a glimpse of that revelation that comes in the wilderness once, although I guess it wasn't technically wild, but more about the nature of the place. I went out one morning to a small trail near the ocean, and I sat down in the grass and watched the sun rise. I had my guitar with me and two mountain dews. Of course I was planning on playing some music, but as I sat there listening to all the noises around me, I realized that there was a beautiful music going on all around me that I'd never noticed before. As I listened, the sloshing of the water combined with the chirping of the birds, and the grasshopers, and all of the others noises turned into one beautiful untouchable song. I lifted my guitar out of the case, and played a chord, and immediately I realized my guitar was intruding on the song of life that was already being played. I instantly put it down again but the moment was gone. I haven't experienced that since, but I always look forward to hearing it again.